Regional development agencies across Canada
A part of the Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED) portfolio, Canada’s Regional Development Agencies help to address key economic challenges by providing regionally-tailored programs, services, knowledge and expertise that:
- Build on regional and local economic assets and strengths;
- Support business growth, productivity and innovation;
- Help small- and medium-sized businesses effectively compete in the global marketplace;
- Provide adjustment assistance in response to economic downturns and crises; and
- Support communities.
Regional Development Agencies bring a regional policy perspective in support of the national agenda by providing regional economic intelligence to support national decision-making; contributing to federal regional coordination and collaboration with other levels of government, communities, research organizations and other stakeholders; and working collaboratively to align efforts related to the delivery of national priorities, programs and services in regions.
Currently, each Regional Development Agency is contributing to the implementation of the Government of Canada’s Innovation and Skills Plan through the Investing in Regional Innovation and Development framework, which addresses key targets and target areas that impact innovation at the regional level.
To learn more about the Regional Development Agencies in Canada, please visit the websites below:
- Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
- Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions (CED)
- Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency (CanNor)
- Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario)
- Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario (FedNor)
- Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD)
- Date modified: