Investing in Business Growth and Productivity – statement of intent information requirements (for-profit applicants)
- Before you begin, please complete the PDF application form for for-profit applicants. If you experience difficulty when opening the PDF application, please refer to the instructions posted in the FAQs.
- Please prepare a Statement of Intent proposal (Phase I of a two-phased application process) that responds to the information requested below. Applicants are required to clearly address each item.
- If selected to proceed to Phase II (full application), you will be asked to provide additional details.
- Review the guidelines for this program carefully to ensure your proposal demonstrates how it meets program requirements and objectives.
- Attach your completed proposal to the PDF application form using the 'Add Attachments' button on that form.
- For help with your application, please call FedDev Ontario at 1-866-593-5505.
A. Applicant Information
- Provide a brief overview of your company (founding date, history, major products/services and markets, presence in Canada and globally, number of employees by location, etc.).
- Describe your organization's involvement in research and development (R&D) in southern Ontario, Canada and internationally, the outcome of past R&D activity and the number of employees performing R&D.
- Provide the name and relationship of all legal entities related to your organization (parent, subsidiaries and affiliates).
- Provide a list of your organization's shareholders (holding greater than 10 percent ownership) including name and percentage of ownership. If your organization has a parent, provide a list of your parent's shareholders.
- Provide historical financial statements for the last two (2) fiscal years and the most recent interim financial statement. Please note, applicants must demonstrate a track record of profitability and the potential to become a strong global player.
- Provide a summary of any federal or provincial government funding your organization has received within the last three (3) years, including:
- Department/agency name;
- Program name;
- Dollar amount and type of assistance;
- Description and purpose of the funding; and
- Contact person at that department/agency.
B. Your Organization's Business Model and Impact of the Proposed Project
- Please provide the following information:
- Brief overview of your proposed project;
- Description of the technology(ies) or equipment to be adopted and identify if and how they are leading-edge or innovative. For example, describe whether the technology is new to your company, the industry, Canada, etc.;
- Strategic rationale for undertaking your project and how it fits with your mandate and business model;
- Expected outcomes;
- Project start and end dates; and
- Project location(s).
Customer Segments & Value Propositions
- Describe each major product or service your organization currently provides, and for each outline:
- Key customer segments (include their percentage of your total revenue, as well as geographic, market and other relevant information); and
- Value proposition provided to each customer segment (what value you are providing to each and why they buy from you).
- Describe how your project will impact the value proposition to your current key customer segments and/or how your customer base will grow or change.
- List your major competitors, their location and estimated market share. Describe your organization's competitive advantage and describe how your project will affect your competitive position. Identify if your project will adversely impact other businesses in Canada.
- Provide a list of partners/collaborators that are critical to delivering your organization's current value proposition. Partners/collaborators may include for-profit and not-for profit organizations, post-secondary institutions and community stakeholders. Describe their roles (in terms of customer relationships, channels, key activities and/or key resources).
- As it relates to your project, please provide:
- Name and location of all partners/collaborators (financial and non-financial);
- Their anticipated roles (in terms of customer relationships, channels, key activities and/or key resources);
- Their contributions to your project; and
- Status of their support (to be requested, requested but not confirmed, or confirmed).
Key Activities & Resources
- Describe the key resources currently in place and the key activities currently undertaken to create and deliver your organization's value proposition, including:
- Description of existing plant/equipment, IP. etc.; and
- Product/service value chain, (e.g., where you source inputs, the activities you undertake to add value and if your product is sold into a global value chain).
- Describe how your project will impact these resources and activities.
- If applicable, provide a summary of the background intellectual property (IP) necessary to complete your project and confirm your organization either owns or is licensed to use all related IP.
- Indicate whether your project involves moving organizational assets (including physical and/or human) from one location to another, including details of the assets and where they are being moved from/to.
Cost Structure & Revenue Streams
- Describe the impact your project will have on strengthening revenue or reducing costs.
- Provide a table of estimated project costs by cost category (labour, consulting and/or professional fees, other non-capital and capital).
- Provide a table of sources of cash funding and their status (to be requested, requested but not confirmed, or confirmed).
- Contributions from FedDev Ontario are paid on a reimbursement basis. Explain how your organization intends to secure bridge financing capacity.
C. Risks & Mitigation
- Identify and describe any significant risks and mitigation strategies related to project implementation and achievement of results.
D. Economic Impact and Results
- Describe why FedDev Ontario funding is required and how it would make a difference. Describe the impact FedDev Ontario funding will have on any or all of the following: project scope (size), location (level of activity in Ontario), timing (project timelines) and economic benefits.
- If applicable, describe how your project will influence southern Ontario's position as a leader in your project's field of activity.
- If applicable, describe how your project will contribute to the diversification of regional economies in southern Ontario.
- With respect to the impacts specific to your project, please provide:
- Total number of jobs to be maintained as a result of the project;
- Total number of jobs to be created during the project; and
- Total number of jobs projected to be created within two (2) years of project completion.
- With respect to the impacts specific to your project, describe and provide any relevant metrics related to:
- Global sales growth;
- New markets accessed;
- Supply/value chain impacts; and
- Increased energy efficiency.
- With respect to the impacts specific to your project, please provide:
- Sales increases by geographic market expected by project completion; and
- Sales increases by geographic market expected within two (2) years of project completion
- Date modified: