Archived — Southern Ontario Manufacturer Celebrates Successes through Federal Partnership
Minister of State Gary Goodyear Visits Automatic Coating Limited, a Manufacturing Success Story
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
January 16, 2014 – Scarborough, Ontario – Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario
Today, Minister of State for FedDev Ontario, Gary Goodyear toured the facilities of Automatic Coating Limited. The Scarborough company is set to celebrate the re-launch of its Flex Line which combines the abilities of several locating lines into one line. This will provide greater flexibility and opens up space in order to build automated pipe line coating equipment. The development of the company's Flex Line was made possible by a $50,000-contribution through the Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters' (CME) SMART Prosperity Now (SPN) Program, for a total investment of $403,360.
SPN is supported through FedDev Ontario's Prosperity Initiative, by an investment of up to $18.9 million. CME's SPN Program is designed to allow manufacturers with an export focus to commercialize new technologies, enter new domestic and foreign markets, invest in sustainable and green technology, purchase new or upgraded equipment and technology, and implement efficiency improvements.
- Automatic Coating utilizes an environmentally friendly line of pipe coating equipment which uses no solvents, is safer than the conventional manual coating systems and provides an increased level of quality as they are fully automated systems. In addition, this machine will be exportable worldwide.
- The manufacturing sector is a significant industry sector in Ontario. According to Statistics Canada, manufacturing revenues for Ontario in 2012 were $272.2 billion.
- Since August 2009, FedDev Ontario has invested more than $1.1 billion, resulting in partnerships with more than 5,300 organizations and more than $1.5 billion in additional leveraged investments from almost exclusively non-government sources to support businesses, organizations and communities in southern Ontario.
"Our Government's investment in SMART Prosperity Now is a step forward in helping manufacturers in southern Ontario to improve productivity and reach global markets. I am pleased to see innovative companies like Automatic Coating Limited make the most of these opportunities."Minister of State for FedDev Ontario Gary Goodyear
"The changes we have made in the plant have set the foundation for the next 10 years and allow us to focus on the pipe line coating industry as well as naval and manufacturing. Automatic Coating Limited's automated pipe coating equipment will be a game changer in the industry. The automated girth weld system will provide state-of-the-art, efficient, safe and environmentally friendly ways of coating pipeline. We appreciate FedDev Ontario's support of Ontario manufacturing. It is helping us to bring innovation to Canada and the global marketplace."Brad Bamford
President, Automatic Coating Limited
"Automatic Coating is a perfect example of how an innovative Ontario manufacturer can win new customers in Canada and around the world, boost sales, and create highly skilled jobs by developing a technology that is simply best in class. CME is proud to have been able to partner with FedDev Ontario in supporting Automatic Coating Limited's investment through our SMART Prosperity Now Program. It's a great success story for Automatic Coating and its employees, for Ontario manufacturing, and for Canadian entrepreneurship."Jayson Myers
President, Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters
- Prosperity Initiative
- New FedDev Ontario Programs
- Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters
- Automatic Coating Limited
Director of Communications
Office of the Honourable Gary Goodyear
- Date modified: