Major Festivals and Events Support Initiative in southern Ontario
The intake period for the Major Festivals and Events Support Initiative in southern Ontario is now closed.
Review our funding opportunities to learn about other FedDev Ontario supports.
Major festivals and events are key levers of economic activity in communities across the country. They attract international tourists, position Canada and its regions as destinations of choice, encourage investment in Canadian tourism assets and create jobs.
The Major Festivals and Events Support Initiative supports major Canadian festivals and events that have been hit hard by the economic impacts of COVID-19 to adapt and enhance their activities as the economy recovers. With a national budget of $200 million over two years, the Initiative will ensure continued operations and maintain local jobs in surrounding communities.
This initiative complements the $200-million investment that will be delivered by Canadian Heritage to support local festivals and community cultural events, outdoor theatre performances, heritage celebrations, local museums, amateur sport events and more.
Eligible festivals and events
Major, recurring festivals and events with annual revenues exceeding $10 million.
Ineligible festivals and events
Examples of activities that cannot be supported:
- One-time or new events or festivals
- Business events such as conferences
- Celebrations related to holidays (e.g., Canada Day, New Year’s Day)
- Liquidity needs to ensure continued operations or adapt activities to new, pandemic-related realities and requirements.
- Enhanced product and experience offering so that they can better position themselves to move into the new economy, in compliance with current health standards as defined by the relevant public authorities.
Types of financial assistance
- Contributions to not-for-profit organizations are generally non-repayable.
- Contributions to for-profit organizations are generally repayable.
The safety and security of Canadians remains this government’s top priority. In order to qualify for the initiative, organizations must commit to respecting important safety guidelines when open.
For more information
For more information on this initiative, please contact us.
If this isn’t the right initiative for you, find out more about the Government of Canada’s complete suite of COVID-19 relief support, and visit our funding opportunities page for more information on other support available through FedDev Ontario.
- Date modified: